Thursday 28 February 2013

You sweet little....er...tart



So last month I blogged about an amazing local strawberry and fresh produce farm and how delish there ice creams were!

I also promised to blog about a strawberry tart with the berries that they sold.

Unfortunately for me I left it a little late and they no longer were in season :-(
BUT! I fished around and managed to get two punnets from a supermarket to make my delish Nectarine, Vanilla Strawberry Tart.

So what brought the idea on was my fave cake makers (City Cake Co.) had this exquisite strawberry tart that wanted, but again I was too late to order it.
So using what initiative I had I decided to make one and here's my little outcome which I'm sure will activate some cravings :-)


The colours really POP!
Added some cachous in the middle to make the tart look almost like a flower :-)
This is extremely easy to make as well.
All you need is:

Shortcrust pastry
1 egg for smoothing over the pastry
baking paper

Vanilla Creme:
4 egg yolks
100g Caster Sugar
25g plain sifted flour
1tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup of butter milk
x2 cups of dry rice or cooking beans

Method:
Preheat oven to 180degrees, line the tin with butter and then lay the shortcrust pastry in line with the tin but not so the pastry is sticking out over the edge.
Brush the egg over the pastry and then lay the baking paper down and pour the two cups of rice or beans as so it bakes evenly.
Bake for 6-10mins then allow to cool.
While that is taking place to make the vanilla creme, beat egg yolks, sugar and flour until smooth in a bowl.
Then place vanilla and milk in a pan, heat gently until almost boiling then pour  into the egg yolk mix whisking as you go.
Return the mix back into the pan and stir over medium heat until it starts to simmer then beat mix well to remove lumps then simmer for a further 2mins.
If you can, remove the shortcrust form the tin and place on a plate.
Remove from heat and cover with cooking paper so it doesn't form a film and allow creme to fully cool.
Once cooled, fold in 2tablespoons of buttermilk then spoon mix onto the pastry.
Arrange berries or other fruits on top and serve with a side of ice cream/cream and devour!

Piece of cake!
Well in this case, tart :P

I had to stop myself from eating it, it was so delicious!
It's even nice just eating it on it's lonesome :-)

So do you have any new treats that you've baked up lately that you absolutely swear by?
I'd love to hear it!

Cheers for reading :-)

XOXOX

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read & reply to all comments, do please check back to see if I have replied to yours.
Thank you ❤